Sunday, August 10, 2008

A close call with Autumn

My sister, Anne, suggested I create a blog to recount the feral cat adventures on Washington Street. I'm still learning how this all works, so your patience will be appreciated.

I hope you'll share your own stories, advice, encouragement (that really keeps me going, thanks to everyone who has responded so far) and maybe send my link to whomever you think might be interested in this true, live, and ongoing cat tale.

The entry below brings us up to date.

A Close Call with Autumn
When I picked Spook up yesterday from the All Feline clinic, they sentwith me some worm medicine that I was to put on some canned food and have him eat it.

Well, that didn't happen because he didn't hang around long enough after he was sprung from jail. Consequently he didn't get fed yesterday at all. So I was surprised he wasn't in his usual place atthe front of the line when I went out to feed them early this morning.I walked up and down the street to see if I could find him and finally did see him under a car out front. He seemed disinclined to come up towhere the dry food is, so I ran in and got the canned food, added the medicine and scurried out to deliver it to his door step (near theback of the car).

I sat on the steps by the sidewalk and watched him attack the food, atone point picking up the metal bowl in his mouth and throwing it atleast two feet into the air. I guess he needed to make sure the FancyFeast was really truly dead.

And then my landlord pulled up to the building next door.

I haven't exactly informed him of our feline goings on because he's a busy man with a lot of work to do and a lot of territory to cover. He doesn't stay in one place for very long and he was here early on aSunday to get some work started on that property.

As he was leaving, he let his gorgeous chocolate lab, Autumn out ofthe truck to come and shake hands with me. She came bounding up as labs do and I was certain her next move would be to go after the cat,the cat food, or both. Then I would have some 'splaining to do.

But he was in a hurry to get going, so he called her and being a very good girl, she obeyed even though she knew something fishy was going on.

Whew. That was close.

Spook finished the food and now full and fully medicated, he ambled down the street... a busy man with a lot of territory to cover.

Before I close I want to say thanks to the wonderful people and cats at the All Feline Hospital who took care of the Spook and working with the Cat House, contribute greatly to the trap, neuter, return effort.

Until next time,
peace.

No comments: