Sunday, August 10, 2008

And then....

The Spook is back home. His release went off without incident. Ever the personification of cool, he calmly walked out of the carrier and across the street and down the sidewalk to the house by the alley where they have a birdbath and hopped up for a drink.

Then he sat on the sidewalk for a while, had a bath, then headed down the alley, I think looking for Chills.

Chills did come by this morning for food. I didn't tell him he's next (we hope).

A few words about Chills.
He's a buttery orange cat with white paws, but an emaciated cat isnever a pretty sight. I said in the last email he's injured. Well,that's not quite right. It's more like seriously afflicted with fleas,or ear mites, or something that has made him scratch all the fur off his neck to the point that it's raw and scabby. Plus, I think he thinks he's a fighter.

He and Spook are buddies. I know this because I witnessed Spook bringing him onto the porch, showing him where the food was and sitting close by as he ate. He's way more timid and wary of us than Spook isand I get the feeling that even by cat standards, Chills is no rocket scientist. But it's amazing. A little food makes a huge difference. He looks alot better now.

Actually, I nearly had him Thursday night. He approached the trap andwas almost in it. But then he lifted his head to rub the raised trapdoor and it closed with him still outside. All I could do was watch helplessly as possibly the the most dimwitted creature in the universe outsmarted our technologically advanced trap.

Still, I'm glad we got the Spook and he's back now, large and in charge.

We try again sometime next week.

Until then this is trapper Story signing off

No comments: